BIRTHPLACE OF AVIATION
FOCUS ON THE FASCINATING WORLD OF AVIATION, INCLUDING ALL 4 SITES OF THE DAYTON AVIATION HERITAGE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK
TWO DAY TOUR
Please contact all attractions prior to tour.
9:30 – 10:30 Carillon Historical Park 937-293-2841 $
- See the Wright Flyer III, one of two existing planes built and flown by the Wright Brothers.
- Other exhibits include a 1930’s print shop, steam locomotives, Dayton’s oldest building and much more.
- Guides interpret the historical exhibits and help celebrate and preserve the Miami Valley’s rich history.
Days of operation vary based on season. Closed Mondays. Call for appointment.
10:45 – 11:15 Woodland Cemetery & Arboretum 937-228-3221 $
- See the final resting place of Orville and Wilbur Wright and Paul Laurence Dunbar.
- Call for guided walking tour appointment.
1:15 – 2:30 Paul Laurence Dunbar State Memorial 937-224-7061 $
- Dunbar was the first African-American to gain acceptance in literary circles in the United States.
- A National Historic Landmark, the house is virtually unchanged from the time of the writer’s death in 1906.
- Artifacts in the house include a bicycle given to Dunbar by the Wrights, books, furniture and clothing.
- Days of operation vary. Call for appointment.
2:45 – 3:30 Wright Cycle Company Complex 937-225-7705 Free
- A National Historic Landmark, this structure also represents the site where Orville and Wilbur Wright first became actively interested in the idea of flying.
- A National Park Service ranger will give an inspiring presentation.
3:45 – 5:15 Free Time/Hotel Check In 800-221-8235
5:30 LaComedia Dinner Theatre 800-677-9505 $
- Buffet dining and live professional theatre combine to make this an unforgettable evening of quality entertainment.
- Buffet offerings include salad, chef-carved meats, a variety of veggies, breads and pastas, and dessert. Signature dish is a delicious Sweet Potato Soufflé.
- Closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Call for ticket availability.
9:00 – 10:15 Huffman Prairie Flying Field 937-257-5535 ext. 254 Free
- See the open field where the Wright brothers perfected the airplane and created the world’s first airport.
- Today you can see a replica of the 1905 hangar constructed on the site by the Wright brothers, and take a self-guided tour.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Call for appointment.
10:30 – 11:45 The Wright Brothers Collection 937-775-2092 Free
- The Wright Brothers Collection housed at Wright State University, contains nearly 6,000 personal, family, and technical papers, journals, diaries, books, and photographs.
- Call for appointment.
12:00 – 1:00 National Aviation Hall of Fame 937-256-0944 ext. 17 Free
- Chartered by the U.S. Congress to honor America’s air and space pioneers.
- The Hall of Fame is located within the USAF Museum.
- Call for guided tour appointment.
1:00 – 5:00 United States Air Force Museum 937-258-1225 Free
- Ohio’s #1 free attraction is also the oldest and largest military aviation museum in the world.
- Exhibits include over 300 aircraft, missiles, and aeronautical displays.
- Presidential Aircraft Hangar includes the Air Force One used by Presidents Kennedy through Clinton.
- Have lunch in the cafeteria, shop in the gift shop, or experience a movie at the IMAX Theatre.
- Admission fee for IMAX and Morphis Movie Ride. Call for appointment.
5:15 Elinor’s Amber Rose 937-228-2511 $
- Enjoy the finest in eastern European cuisine including schnitzel, chicken paprika, goulash, and cabbage rolls.
- Be sure to save room for some homemade strudel! Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Amber Rose offers excellent dining in a private room.
- Call for menu options and reservation.
THREE-DAY TOUR AVAILABLE
This tour offers many great photo opportunities.
To book this tour or for a free customized itinerary call (937) 226-8211 or email Sean Robison firstname.lastname@example.org